Friday, February 29, 2008

I am a bargain hunter.

I have too much time on my hands, but I HAVE discovered a talent I didn't know I possessed. I am a SUPER bargain hunter. For example, I had to go grocery shopping. Instead of my usual, "grab the keys and just go to the store," I sat down at the computer, looked at the weekly specials online and discovered a buy one, get one sale. It was a GOOD ONE! Most meat was BOGO, so I stocked the freezer with chicken, beef, pork, and bacon. Pasta and sauce was also BOGO. I ended up spending $81, but I saved more than $47! Yeah, I'm pretty awesome.

Example number two: Nate needed more dress shirts and ties. Since I'm convinced I could be a stylist to the stars anyway, I did my research and headed out alone to shop for Nate so I could surprise him with my findings. I knew he liked the fit of Express dress shirts, so I saw they were having their, "buy one, pay $50 each; buy two, pay $40 each; buy three, pay $30 each," sale. Clearly, buying three was the better bargain. However, I also used a "$30 off your purchase of more than $75," coupon, so I paid only $20 per shirt. That is a savings of 60% off the regular price. Express has decent shirt deals, but they get you on their ties. They are $40 each at the regular price and are rarely on sale. Boo. Either way, after a little further research I found a GREAT sale at Macy's on BCBG ties. They are equally as stylish and come in the same great colors. Needless to say, Nate got three new ties too. What makes me most proud is my ability to coordinate. The ties and shirts I picked up will mix with other things he already owns, so I have actually created about 12 new outfits from three shirt/tie combos.

The job search is heating up. I have come across a couple leads by accident. While calling random people from Craigslist in search of a washer and dryer for a rental I happened upon a landscape architect that requested a copy of my resume to forward to his developer friends. It's amazing who you come across when you talk too much :-) Nate's dad has also been a great help, matching me up with someone with great connections to the City of St. Paul. Another position I applied for will be calling for interviews in the next one-to-two weeks. I'm not sure it is my dream job (it's not, who's kidding whom), but it pays VERY well. Hopefully I'll get that call. At this point I'm ready just put money back INTO the bank account.

Nate and I have been fantastic, except for a recent bout of bad luck. Thanks in part to an irresponsible contractor we have had to purchase a new (used) washer and dryer (as referenced above) for an occupied rental unit. When we sent him over for installation he, "needed a part," and was going to go back to finish. Of course he didn't, and instead left with something leaking water into the basement. This meant we had a tenant that was rightfully upset, and a new problem in our laps. Nate is at work, so I called a plumber referred to us who couldn't get there until Monday or Tuesday. The referrals I got from him didn't answer. Frustrated, unsure how much water was accumulating in the basement, and knowing I needed a drain line snaked anyway, I just called Roto Rooter. I'm sure I'll regret it when I see the bill, but knowing there will be a capable person there within an hour is worth the premium.

In addition to this morning's debacle, last night Nate called me from Fridley, a northern suburb. His car was acting up and he had to arrange for a tow to the BMW dealer. Oy. This meant he needed a ride, and the roads were treacherous from the evening snow and freezing rain. Poor guy. The good news was that his insurance covers the tow. The bad news is that we are down to one car and I wasn't able to meet the Roto Rooter guy because I'm stuck here. Good thing Nate's job is flexible. He should be there now. In fact, I just sent him the following text message:

"Don't let him leave until the washer and dryer are functional."

If I'm paying the emergency service fee, that place better perfect when they leave. What a disaster...and learning process. Oh well, I'm off to make potato leek soup. Nate will be ready for some comfort food after such a stressful week.

No comments: