Thursday, April 24, 2008

Guess who's back?

Wow, it has been a LONG time since I've caught up on here! I guess I have been busy enjoying my new Minnesotan life. I have also kept busy making a little money. First that report:

I traveled to Nebraska with my mom to work the world's largest farm auction. Western Nebraska is not my definition of a great tourist stop, and I would not recommend it. Highlights included people with few-to-no teeth, bored and on ill-advised sexual escapades, rancid cow feed lots, and miles and miles of farm-equipment graveyards. However, if you smile at the thought of feeling dusty grit in your mouth every time you bite down, Nebraska may be just the place for you! There is nothing like the feeling of grit between your molars...I could write a book about this trip and will save more details for my best seller.

Speaking of molars (and completely off topic), MSN News published a list of cities with the best and worst oral hygiene. Western Nebraska was not on the bottom ten, but I'm guessing it is because it houses NO CITIES...or real civilization for that matter. ANYWAY, St. Paul and Minneapolis BOTH made the top 10 list, and I am proud to flash my pearly-whites in a metro teeming with full jaws of healthy teeth. Ft. Wayne made the top ten list for use of most Fluoride in the water, but Indiana cities made no appearances in the top ten overall lists. Sorry guys.

Back on topic: I have also taken on additional contract work as a Mystery Shopper. Is this a high-paying job...no. Is this a career...no. It is, however, a great way to entertain myself and allow me to earn a few dollars now and then. Yesterday I was shopping for jewelry, which is a LOT of fun. I spent my day draped in diamonds...what did you do? :-)

In other Dani-related news, I am (accidentally) a red head! Accidentally, you ask? Here's the story. Nate had a $20-off coupon at an Aveda salon, so I thought I'd spring for a professional hair color. I have been eying a short hair style lately, and decided I wanted a little darker blonde. That way, if I cut my hair short, I would still look like I had hair (instead of being all one color...my pale skin and blonde hair were dangerously close to monochromatic). Anyway, upon expressing my desire to go darker with the stylist, she asked, "Have you ever considered red?" I said NO quickly...I like being blonde...you can get away with so much more. She then suggested strawberry blonde which would, "Warm up my cool skin and bring out my eyes." I figured that couldn't be TOO bad, so I agreed to it and off she went. An hour later, she turned the chair around and to my surprise...I HAD RED HAIR.

The quality of this picture does not quite do the color justice. In the stylist's defense, in normal lighting the color does warm up my face, and my eyes look REALLY blue, but it just isn't me. I am not meant to have red hair. I'm trying to wait it out to see if it grows on me. I'm thinking about cutting it first, then having blonde highlights added if I'm still unhappy. Either way, I think the red will disappear on my next color. For my cut, I have fallen in love with an actress' hair style and want to try it. I'm not sure how it will look on me since I don't have the petite and cute features this girl has, but I'm going to ask Ann (who will cut my hair tonight) her opinion. For reference, here is the "longer" version of the cut, and here is the "shorter." Please ignore the fact that she is showing booty on the second photo...it was for Allure magazine...not Playboy :-) Funny how a women's magazine can print that and it is about being "comfortable in your own skin," and, "empowering." If she were in a men's magazine, she'd be trashy. Ahh, nothing like a little double standard.

Nate and I just rented out another property. Yep, that means that last weekend was spent cleaning and painting (my two favorite things to do). I signed the lease with the new tenants yesterday and think they will take better care of the place. I can't wait to sell these things... HURRY UP STUPID REAL ESTATE MARKET!

And finally for today, I should report that we are all happy and healthy here in the Minnie. Nate is doing very well and recently found out that he will be getting a promotion on June 1. It is well deserved, and Baylee and I are proud of him :-)

Stay tuned, more to come!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know where you were in Nebraska, but I do know that not all of the state is like what you described. I for one don't have a problem with dirt in my mouth while I'm in Nebraska. I would agree with the farm graveyards, on the otherhand.